Are Americans un-grateful, using Thanksgiving as a veiled attempt at appearing thankful? Here are some thoughts:
1) We have exited a HUGE recession, somewhat close to a depression within 24 months, and yet everyone is complaining how SLOW the recovery is.
2) Real estate prices, while certainly off their highs of 2007/2008 in New York, have recovered nicely in what usually took MANY years to recover. In fact, there are several new pricing records being broken right now. (Think 15 Central Park West, 200 Eleventh Avenue, 400 West 12th Street, etc)
3) Corporate America is crying foul: This government is so ANTI-BUSINESS!!!!! So why the $ 1,6 TRILLION in corporate profits? That does not add up.
4) The right is crying: Lower spending, lower taxes…..that does not add up either.
5) The left is crying: Spend more, raise taxes…..that does not add up, and continues to encourage government reliance, a system that has failed elsewhere.
6) The ultra-religious cry acceptance of others and forgiveness in their churches, mosques and synagogues, yet are responsible for most wars and conflict. Can you really be pro-war AND pro-life simultaneously?
7) Most of us feel like we aren’t getting enough, yet we have more than any others on this planet. The poor think having a dishwasher is suffering, and the rich feel not buying that new Birkin bag is simply not fair!
8) New Yorkers dream of California sunshine and Californians dream of East Coast ‘seasons’…..
I could go on, but you get the picture. We are all rather spoiled. And now would be as good a time as ever to really sit back, look in the mirror, and see things the way they really are.
If we have our health, we should all be REALLY thankful right now for what we have.